Home Forums Q&A with the Coaches Advice for general conversational speaking at a family event tomorrow? Reply To: Advice for general conversational speaking at a family event tomorrow?

Leah Areff

This is what I always tell PWS, Prathusha. If the issue was the vowel, then you would stutter on vowels ALL of the time. If you have no issues with vowels at certain times, then that is enough proof that the issue is not vowels.

As PWS, we have created certain habits over the course of our lives. I used to think I “always stuttered on the letter ‘T’ “. I now know that because I stuttered on the letter “T” a couple of times, my mind created a habit of stuttering on “T” and it also started producing fear whenever I had to say something with the letter “T” in it. This led me to believe that I stuttered on “T’s”, when in fact, my HEALTHY brain was just doing what I taught it to do – stutter on the letter “T” when under pressure. I have now taught my brain not to do this, and I have not stuttered on any word in over 3 and a half years.